Tuesday 18 October 2011

Manchester and Salford Illustrated

Recently I submitted an illustration for the Manchester and Salford Illustrated competition. The brief was to submit an illustration of something to do with Manchester, answering the question, 'What does Manchester mean to you?', so for example, it could be a building, a person, a place or anything to do with Manchester.

The competition was organised by Wood Street's Creative Friends, a group of creatives who have banded together to help and raise money for the Wood St. Mission, a Manchester based charity that works to help local people and families in poverty. Earlier in the year I went to visit the mission, along with organisers of the event and some other illustrators, and we were given a tour round and were able to see first hand the work that they did, so it was definitely something I wanted to be involved in.

There will be a MASI exhibition at the end of this month, where work from local professional illustrators will be exhibited and sold, and there was also a student category for the competition, to which I entered my piece. Check it out below, as well as a little rationale about my design.....




I decided to illustrate something that you can never escape when visiting the city centre; the trams. Manchester has such fantastic transport links, but trams are a form that you just don’t find in every city. I think that it fits the brief because it shows something that I would call an icon of Manchester. The style of tram with the black, white and turquoise colour scheme always represents Manchester to me, and you can’t visit the city centre without seeing one! You almost forget they are there until you hear the loud BEEP! ‘s. They are as much a part of the city as the buildings and people.

><><><><><><><><><><><

No comments:

Post a Comment